Several people asked me to post a blog about volunteering in Japan this summer. (I've never written a blog before - so bear with me!).

I decided it was time to take a little time away from my stressful life as a meeting manager and perhaps gain a few karma points by helping out others. It won't be easy - I'm out of shape and it will be hard work in somewhat primitive conditions.

All Hands Volunteers is an amazing group of people and I look forward to being a part of the positive energy of all the caring volunteers!

I might as well also put in a plug for you to help support them with a small donation via credit card. Maybe forgo Starbucks or a six pack of Diet Pepsi for a day. I've set up an easy to donate fundraising link here.

Arrival in Japan

Just arrived at Narita, Tokyo airport after an uneventful 11 hours flight.    First class, baby!  (I thank my departed stepdad, Fred every time I get to use the Delta standby pass)

On the plane, I chatted with the Delta translator about doing relief work in Japan.   Her husband is a hair dresser and every couple of weeks he takes an hour bus ride to one of the shelters in the impacted zone to give complimentary haircuts to the evacuees.    She had some astonishing photos on her iphone of the damage there.     

The IT professional in the seat next to me was a wealth of knowledge about Tokyo and the train/ metro system.   Just as we were landing, he pointed out a house in the middle of the intersection of runways.  Apparently the owners of the house were protesting the building of Narita Airport and have refused to move for over twenty-something years.   (The things you learn when talking to a local!).  

I noticed how green the land is around the Narita Airport (about 60 miles from Tokyo proper).   Rice paddies and golf courses.     The weather is humid and muggy as Typhon season is beginning.

The airport wasn’t nearly the “Lost in Translation” I expected.   English is commonly spoken and it all makes perfect sense.  I got a kick out the airport toilets with three options of toilet types:   1.  the squatter   2.  the sit down version with spray wash  3.  the sit down US/European version (sans spray wash).

Now, it’s a 80 minute bus ride to the Tokyo Station, then an overnight bus to Morioka, then a 3 hour wait for a two hour bus to Ofunato.  The fun begins…… 


2 comments:

  1. I will be a virtual Karma cheerleader: Go team GO!! Yae Loretta! Thanks again for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very admirable effort Loretta -- Well done! Northern Japan is definitely in need of help to see them through these extraordinary times. Please look up Claire and I in Tokyo if you make it back this way before mid-July when we move back to the Bay Area after four years here in Japan. Gambatte kudasai!

    ReplyDelete